Monday, December 5, 2011

Wednesdays

I have a new blog because I'm not dusting myself off anymore.


I got up and tried again, and now, I've been at the new job longer than I had been at the one that laid me off -- from which I needed to dust myself off and try again. Also, the name of that blog puts a really annoying song in my head. (Sorry, Aaliyah.)

So for months now, I've been trying to figure out how I should create a blog that will fit me in all the different shapes I may take in the next few years. I didn't want to define myself solely by my job or my husband, and when I have children, I don't want them to define me completely. I'll be more than "just a mom," just like I'm more than "just a wife" or "just a designer" now. I tried to find something that would stay the same throughout my life.

I'll always be Rebekah, but my last name has changed.

I probably won't always design. I have no idea when I'm going back to school -- or what I'll do when I get there. And I tend to scoff at women who have no more to say about themselves than who their husbands are.

My first idea was Things I Learned the Hard Way.

And I'm sure there will be a lot of that here.

But fortunately, I don't insist on learning everything the hard way. So that didn't fit.

Tonight at work (for people with normal circadian rhythms, that would be yesterday), I created some content in the list of events in the upcoming week. The editor hadn't found anything for Thursday, so I typed into Google "things that happen on Thursdays," hoping for DVD releases (that happens on Tuesdays) or something like that.

I didn't find anything with that search, but I did think, "That would be a great name for a book."

Or a blog.

Someone else thought of the URL I wanted to go with it, though. So I went through the days of the week, playing with combinations on the mundane, everyday days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

While I don't know who or what I'll turn out to be or how I'll define myself, I do know that there are a lot of mundane days in my future. Hilarious anecdotes come from mundane days. And brilliant ideas sometimes penetrate the thoughtlessness of the everyday grind.

Sometimes, the very best stories and ideas come from the everyday things that happened on a Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It doesn't have to be Wednesday. Say hello!